His Love Story in the Stars

His Love Story in the Stars
2020 Challenge: His Love Story in the Stars!!!

Monday, June 29, 2020

PRINTING ON FABRIC


I have been asked to give a tutorial on how I print on fabric to be used in our crazy quilts.

It used to be much more difficult than it is now. We used to have to treat the fabric to retain the ink; and cut exactly to 8 by 11 to fit the printer, and iron it onto freezer wrap paper.  All that still works, and I have a quilt I did 21 years ago, that the pictures still look great.

This is a quilt I did for my parents 50th anniversary back in 1999. Since both have passed away now, I have the quilt again.


It's much more fun and easier today, so let's get started.
You can use this process with any photo from your computer. I use PowerPoint to place my pictures on one page. I try to fill the page with images, because you cannot put a page back into your printer if you have already cut some of the page off. You might still be able to use word, I just like PowerPoint best.
There are many pre-made printable sheets to purchase. JoAnne's and others carry them. Or go to Amazon.com and look for what you want.
I have used both of these products below...


Make sure you place fabric sheet in the computer with fabric down, depending on your printers. Depending on your project, you can use white or cream colored, silk or cotton.

So this block is an example of how I typed the heading!

Here's another example. I took a photo of  a small painting of my mother's and printed it on fabric. And then did the crazy quilting and embellishing around it.



Thanks for your interest and for following me. My next post will be how the last 12 blocks of my "His Story in the Stars" will be finishing up and attaching to the rest of the quilt.

Happy Stitching!!! Stay well!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the excellent information! I will be practicing with Power Point so that I can do some fabric printing of my own! Hugs, Amy

    ReplyDelete