His Love Story in the Stars

His Love Story in the Stars
2020 Challenge: His Love Story in the Stars!!!

Friday, July 29, 2022

July 29, 2022

WHO DOESN'T LOVE "UNDER THE SEA" PROJECTS?


As I finished my Yellowstone Memories, when it's backed I will do a blog on it next, I was dreaming of doing another Under the Sea Project!
For those that don't know me or are new to my journey, I took my second class from Judith Baker Montano in June 2013, called Under the Sea! And boy was I hooked!!!

This was the piece we started in class, and then I finished at home.
Then I was featured as "cover girl" on Crazy Quilt Quarterly 2015 by Pamela Kellogg and she requested a UTS project.

I later framed it this way.

That same year, I contributed to the CQ Gathering Calender 2015 with this piece:


Then my hubby wanted me to do one for him, so I did this one: 

Which I call Underwater Fantasia, it is framed in glass and won an award at an art gallery in Pocatello.
Then in 2019, I contributed to another Calender with this one:

The mermaid in this one was painted by Annette Graves.

So I guess you might think, I would be tired to this medium or where else can I go with it...
Well the ideas are endless!!!

I have studied all the UTS projects done by everyone in Crazy Quilt Divas and International in the Albums. I was astounded at the many variations found there. As I collected some fabrics I soon realized that I couldn't do just one block! I have come up with four: a blue block, a green block, brown and purple blocks!!!



I put together my blue block, I chose one fabric for the top half, but cut in pieces to crazy quilt together. This is 13" by 16". I use a heavier muslin than the normal light weight,  one called industrial weight, from JoAnn's. I find it holds the piece as it gets heavy. I also sew around the border to give me my ending point, but also to hold the piece together, which seems to keep it from bunching up. 

So as I play with threads, laces (Nicki Seavey Ravioli Dreams) trims, yarns, etc. 

I started out with a cut out from Laura Burch Fabric for the three sea horses. I then added some yarns for seaweed. Lace fish and seahorse were from Nicki. Batik fabrics are great ones to use for UTS projects, here you can see the one on the left has seahorses on it. 

By the second day, I have added more yards and threads, stitches, laces, etc. The shibori and velvet are bunched as you stitch them in place and add embellishments in the folds.

On the last day, I also bunched the silks from two different blouses, along with the fancy fabric, bottom right corner. 


So thanks for visiting. I already have 3 more blocks ready to start embellishing, and I will do a post here after each one. 
I hope you click on follow me, you get an email from blogger when I do a new post. 
Stay tune for more on this project.
Happy Stitching!!!
















1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed embiggening your photos so I could see more of the details. Love how you used bits of lace to create the plants!

    ReplyDelete